Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mirrors are terrifying.

Well, that's only true late at night when my perception is a little numbed.

Think about it: something totally inanimate and insensitive that spits back your precise image in real time. Physics aside, that's freaking mystical. It doesn't observe like an artist but presents you with yourself exactly the way other people would see you. No, I correct myself: exactly the way YOU would see you.

Seeing myself in a mirror feels sort of unnatural sometimes. Even the closest natural thing to a mirror is the surface of a still body of water, and that kind of thing killed Narcissus.

Mirrors only scare the living daylight out of me in the dark of night. (No pun intended.) If I'm groping around in the dark, half asleep, for a way to the bathroom, the last thing I want to see is a moving figure. Like my friend said, "It's like 'Whoa, there's a person.'" And that person looks exactly like me! How would you feel if somebody walked into the room looking exactly like you?

You know what's scarier than a reflection that looks exactly like you? A reflection that DOESN'T look exactly like you. I'm always picturing the possibility of the mirror reflecting NOT me. Darn it, imagination, darn you to hell. But come back when I need inspiration.

Crap. Now I'm paranoid. Ok, I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment